Chasing Amy

Alyssa: "Why are we stopping?"
Holden: "Because I can't take this."
Alyssa: "Can't take what?"
Holden: "I love you."
Alyssa: "You love me?"
Holden: "I love you. And not in a friendly way,
although I think we're great friends. And not in
a misplaced affection, puppy-dog way, although
I'm sure that's what you'll call it. And it's not
because you're unattainable. I love you. Very
simple, very truly. You're the epitome of every
attribute and quality I've ever looked for in
another person. I know you think of me as just a
friend, and that crossing that line is the
farthest thing from an option you'd ever
consider. But I had to say it. I can't take it
anymore. I can't stand next to you without
wanting to hold you. I can't look into your eyes
without feeling that longing you only read about
in trashy romance novels. I can't talk to you
without wanting to express my love for everything
you are. I know this will probably queer our
friendship-no pun intended-but I had to say it,
because I've never felt this before, and I like
who I am because of it. And if bringing it to
light means we can't hang out anymore, then that
hurts me. But I couldn't allow another day to go
by without getting it out there, regardless of
the outcome, which by the look on your face is to
be the inevitable shoot-down. And I'll accept
that. But I know some part of you is hesitating
for a moment, and if there is a moment of
hesitation, that means you feel something, too.
All I ask is that you not dismiss that-at least
for 10 seconds-and try to dwell in it. Alyssa,
there isn't another soul on this ******* planet
who's ever made me half the person I am when I'm
with you, and I would risk this friendship for
the chance to take it to the next plateau.
Because it's there between you and me. You can't
deny that. And even if we never speak again after
tonight, please know that I'm forever changed
because of who you are and what you've meant to
me, which-while I do appreciate it-I'd never need
a painting of birds bought at a diner to remind
me of."

No comments: