Silver Lining

Never heard of this movie until the Golden Globe awards, when our housemate commented that he liked the movie more than he liked Les Miserables. That's all I knew about the film and that Bradley Cooper got a nomination for it. Was so thrilled to learn that 'Katniss' was on it as well as Robert de Niro.

Here's a memorable conversation at a diner:

Pat: You're crazy!
Tiffany: I'm not the one who just got out of that hospital in Baltimore.
Pat: And I'm not the big slut!... I'm sorry... I'm sorry... I'm sorry.
Tiffany: I was a big slut, but I'm not any more. There's always going to be a part of me that's sloppy and dirty, but I like that. With all the other parts of myself. Can you say the same about yourself fucker? Can you forgive? Are you any good at that?

It's not quite in the same league as other 'insane' movies I have come to like in the past such as Eternal Sunshine, The Hours, Girl Interrupted... perhaps because this one does not involve somebody committing suicide (?) But it is entertaining and very well-acted. The ending was quite predictable and somewhat abrupt so it felt lacking somewhat. Perhaps a letter to Nikki or a coversation between Pat and his doctor or one of his male friends would have made it more believable. In any case, worth watching still.

Love Pat's motto by the way: Excelsior!

No comments: