"Hands-On Manila"

Hands-On Manila

Not many years ago, I heard about this organization which offers anyone that is willing, regardless of profession, various opportunities to help those who are in need. I immediately became interested and looked for ways in which I could join the group. Despite this fervent desire, it took a while for me to find my way to signing up as one of the volunteers -- I didn't know anyone kasi who was a volunteer himself and work became toxic as well so there was no spare time at all... Anyway, I finally discovered how easy it was to be a volunteer through their website, www.handsonmla.org, which I learned about through the electronic Papemelroti newsletter. Yes, I have signed up for the Papemelroti newsletter and yes, that's the store where you buy your recycled stationeries...

Eto na nga, to formally introduce this organization, here's a text which I copied from the Hands-On Manila Yahoo! Groups Home Page:
Hands On Manila Foundation, Inc. is a non-profit, non-sectarian, private organization founded in 2001. We offer flexible volunteer opportunities to anyone who has a few hours to spare. We recruit, coordinate, and educate volunteers in the different service projects involving children's welfare, environment, housing, education, disabled, etc.

To join, one must attend an orientation that is held monthly. There's an orientation coming up this June 28, 6-7PM at Powerbooks Megamall. For details, you can call 843-7044 or 843-5231. After that, you would have to choose a project of your choice -- there's building a house, caring for the street children or the elders, caring for Zoo animals, volunteering for various museums and libraries, teaching computers to kids that are around 7 to 15 years old....madami, there's one that should fit your personality :) Tapos nyan, you have to call the organizer and sign your name up then lastly, you have to SHOW UP!

This weekend, I am planning to volunteer for the Museo Brigade. In this project, volunteers are to chip in and help out in the Museo Pambata operations as tour guides, ushers, ticket counter sellers, marshals and of course sort out books in the Resource Library. Sounds boring? Not for me :)

No comments: