Bittersweet Days

It's been a really busy week. I have meetings and deadlines each day and my working days don't seem to end when the sun goes down. It starts very early (at 7am) and finishes around 11pm, with lots of personal and health issues to deal with in between. I'm not getting good sleep lately, and not eating healthy food. My fault really, kasi last weekend all I did was to shop for clothes and watch DVD -- I was in front of the TV for 6 hours last Sunday watching a Korean Telenovela; 9 in total if you include the 3 hours I spent watching from 12am-3am Saturday! Nagpuyat pa talaga ako! This is an addiction, and its a bad one :( Ang ganda kasi nung palabas, e...Ever heard of 'Jewel in the Palace'? :)

Because I was glued to the TV, didn't manage to cook for the coming week, or buy groceries or do my laundry! I did manage to buy medicine though, so that was good...and buy the clothes I need for a client meeting which my boss told me to buy, so that was good too. Those are major goals at nagawa ko naman sila. Pero nakakapagod when you don't do the chores you're scheduled to do: the chores I just ignored in order to watch 'Jewel', haha! It affects the whole week. At nagkataon pa naman that this week at work was so busy. This morning, I was really tired and wish I could retreat to a place where someone would take care of me, but there was no one -- I only have myself to take care of me. Medyo sad no. Nami-miss ko tuloy ang aking nanay. She really takes good care of me, lalo na pag weekends. Sobrang buhay prinsesa ako 'pag nasa bahay... 'Nay, miss kita :( And she's not the only one I miss. Dami pa. It's not easy missing anyone at all pero it makes you realize who the important people in your life really are. Bitter-sweet thing.

-ooo-

It was a good surprise when I learned today that I could work from home -- my boss also did not go to the office kaya, this became possible. This was one highlight for today, nang malaman ko that I don't have to go out of the cold :)

Another highlight is that I was able to cook spaghetti: something I've always wanted to do since a week ago or even earlier. I have all the ingredients except cheese, pero I decided to go ahead and cook na rin, kasi I've run out of nice things to eat. I had ham and egg for dinner kasi. And then ham and egg uli for breakfast. That's why for lunch, I decided it should be a little more special:


Ingredients: Pasta, ground beef, tomato sauce, sausage, onions, salt and pepper, cooking oil. Not bittersweet at all. More of sweet and sour, instead.


Lately I find myself wanting to learn more how to cook and prepare food for others, although I haven't brought my cooking sa office or shared it with friends. So this was just something I'm hoping I could do in the near future, 'yung magpakain. Na-inspire ako dun sa bida ng 'Jewel in the Palace', she's a cook for the imperial palace in Korea who later became a doctor, one of the first lady doctors in that country if not the first. It's based on a true story kaya masarap panoorin. And masarap gayahin :)

Anyway, the spaghetti I had manage to cook wasn't the greatest but it wasn't bad at all. The pasta and sauce was really nice. Here are some cooking tips I'd like to share -- you can almost conclude na galing 'yan lahat sa 'Jewel in the Palace':

- I made sure I followed the instructions in cooking the pasta. There are different ways to cook it, depending on the brand.
- I made sure the ground beef was in a good condition. It's sitting in my fridge for weeks now, so I had to thaw it muna and put salt tapos hinalo ko before I placed it in the pan.
- When cutting onions or anything, you have to be consistent as much as possible. Kelangan pantay-pantay ang hiwa. Cooking will be easier this way because you will ensure that the ingredients are absorbing the oil, the sauce in a consistent manner. And it will look better, too :)

I was working the whole time I cooked it and I didn't have a good recipe to follow at the start -- I couldn't find one at first kaya nagmarunong na lang ako. I had to finally eagerly look for one when I couldn't decide if I'm supposed to put water sa sauce. Hehe. Also, I don't have all the ingredients, walang cheese napansin mo? But that was okay too :) Ang saya when I learned that I can cook spaghetti with such few ingredients. I can't wait to tell my mom and cook for her :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice! when i cook spaghetti for my dad and big bros (mga spag addicts!) request nila may mushroom and thick yung sauce so i also add tomato paste. And they like it sweet kaya i also add a little sugar. try mo lang. u might like it. :D